Skate House Sing-Alongs: A few times a semester we gather, in the log-cabin Skatehouse by the duck pond, to make s’mores and sing songs! We usually sing from Rise Up Singing (lots of folk and camp fires songs many Fords know or can learn quickly). Come and bring yourself, a friend, or even an instrument!
One-day retreats: To Snipes Farm (for fun, games, and the occasional sweet potato harvest!) in the fall. To Pendle Hill, the famous Quaker retreat and study center, for a destress day at the start of finals week and in the spring.
At Quaker House – Communal Meals: Quaker House offers a place to eat a homecooked meal and have wonderful conversation! They have a bi-weekly brunch after Meeting for Worship at Haverford Friens Meeting as well as community dinners on Tuesday nights. All meals are vegetarian.
Wink: Also known as “Quaker wrestling,” “ratchet screwdriver” or “bloody winkum,” a few informal games happen throughout the year, normally culminating in a spirited match at Haverfest.
- Quakerism 101 workshops/discussions
- Hosting performers, including Jon Watts
- Worship sharing
- Workshops on accountability groups and Non-Violent Communication
- Special dinners with visiting Quakers and speakers on-campus
- Discussions on simplicity and other Quaker testimonies
- Intervisitation trips – visiting and hosting students from Earlham College (Richmond, IN), Guilford College (Greensboro, NC), and George Fox University (Newberg, OR)